Saturday 5 December 2015

Chapter 40: Study

If you enter my office and study the paraphernalia within you will learn a lot about me. I have placed special reminders everywhere of who I love, what I stand for and who I am. I’ve spent thousands of hours in my office reading, studying, praying, sermonizing, writing, putting together classes, counselling, phoning, emailing, planning and sometimes just wondering what the heck I should be doing. Space is important to me. I look forward to getting into my space and doing my work where I have so often connected with God.   

In one of his books, Eugene Peterson laments the fact that churches now refer to the pastor’s office as an “office”. He wishes churches would return to the more traditional description of calling it the pastor’s “study”. Peterson sees the change in language to correspond with a lessening amount of time many pastors spend in study. They are busy running the church as a CEO in order to keep the people coming back to be entertained with religious services. But we have lost the role of the resident theologian/teaching pastor in many churches. Theologians are not always efficient! I agree with Peterson, and because I desire to be a theologian/teaching pastor, I will refer to my “office” as my “study” for the remainder of this chapter.  

So what does one see in my study? My desk faces a collage of pictures. None of them have been hung for aesthetic reasons. Each is there because of what they mean to me. There are pictures of my wife and kids. There are pictures of Christian thinkers who have influenced me like C.S. Lewis, John Newton, Francis Schaeffer, John Stott and Martin Luther. I have John Calvin and Jacob Arminius sharing the same picture frame!

Though I consider myself an Arminian, John Calvin is one of my favorite theologians and I have repeatedly found his Institutes to be uplifting and deeply devotional. A quote from the Institutes sits framed on one of my bookshelves, encapsulating for me the goal of thinking about God. Calvin writes: 

Doctrine is not an affair of the tongue, but of life; it is not apprehended by the intellect and memory merely, like other branches of learning; but it is received only when it possesses the whole soul and finds its seat and habitation in the inmost recesses of the heart. (Institutes, III, VI, 4).  

In my collage is an article by my doctoral teacher Haddon Robinson on the importance of reading for the life of the preacher. The books on my shelves are testimony to this love life of mine. And I’m thankful that each church I have served has blessed me with a book fund so that I don’t break my own bank account. I think it was Erasmas who said that if he had to choose between books and food he would choose books! Over the years, however, the number of physical books I own has been significantly reduced. Much of my library has been sent to stock a seminary in Cameroon and with e-books and online resources, many of the reference books I used to use are no longer necessary.    

On my wall is the famous picture of the resurrected Jesus teaching the two disciples on the way to Emmaus. This would be the best seminary education one could get! Then there is a picture of the moment “Christian,” from Pilgrim’s Progress, comes to the cross and the burden on his back falls off. I love that imagery and its depiction of the power of the cross. I have a picture of the “weeping prophet” Jeremiah, painted by Rembrandt. This was given to me by an older lady who struggled with depression at a time when I was struggling with it.

I love the paintings, color and style, of Van Gogh. One picture of his is called “The Church at Auvers” and it depicts a church with no doors. It hangs in my office asking questions. Are we a church with “no doors?” Do we only serving insiders? How do outsiders get in? Is a church with no doors really even a church?  

I have framed several scenes from Alice in Wonderland surrounding a quote from a letter Lewis Carroll included in that book. The story of Alice in Wonderland often frustrates people because it “has no point.” It is not “accomplishing” anything. Our frustration with this exposes our driven adulthood where we have reduced everything to measurements, results and “having a purpose.” Carroll wanted to depict children at play and the delight they take in the randomness and pointlessness of it. When I see these pictures of Alice in Wonderland I am reminded to take life less seriously. To have fun. To play. To become children, like Jesus called us to be. If I don’t do this I end up becoming a machine and less of a human being. The quote from Lewis Carroll’s letter reads:

I do not believe that God means for us to divide life into two halves…. Do you think he only comes to see kneeling figures and to hear only tones of prayers – and that he does not also love to see the lambs leaping in the sunlight, and to hear the merry voices of the children at play? Surely their innocent laughter is as sweet in his ears as the greatest anthem that ever came from some solemn cathedral.

In the center of all these pictures I have Raphael’s famous School of Athens. It depicts many of the greatest human thinkers in history with Plato and Aristotle in the middle. It is an illustration of humanity’s wisdom. Above that painting I have placed another painting. This one was done by Mattias Grunewald around the year 1515. It shows Jesus hanging on the cross with John the Baptist pointing the world to him. (This painting is not meant to be historically, but theologically accurate). I have purposely placed this picture above the Athens one with this verse from 1 Corinthians 1:25 between them: The foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom. In other words, Jesus’ death on the cross, God’s weakness, God’s “stupidity,” has accomplished more and is more profound than all human wisdom put together. I love Paul’s wording here! I look at this everyday as I write my sermons.    

Around my office you will see a picture from Cameroon of an African Jesus blessing the African people. My degrees are hung up. A cartoonist’s caricature of me hangs next to them. There is the “Contagious Character” award I received from the Greenfield Elementary school for the work I did there while a pastor at Greenfield. On top of one of my bookshelves is Stryper’s first record, “The Yellow and Black Attack.” Next to it is a big foam hand with “Go Oilers” on it. (This is Edmonton’s professional hockey team). I have a beer bottle from Germany given to me from someone in the church called “Luther’s Brew”. It has a picture of Martin Luther on it who always bragged about his wife making the best beer in Germany.  

Then there is my John Wesley wig on a head stand. I’ve used this when I’ve dressed up like John and delivered one of his sermons. I think how funny it is that 250 years ago this style of dress was considered dignified. I wonder what they will say about the suit and tie 250 years from now! All of this reminds me not to get tied up in the externals of dress and style and equate that with Christianity.

Against one wall rests the staff my pastoral mentor Ralph Korner gave me at my ordination. On top of the staff rest the stole given to me at my infant baptism. On my desk is a verse that sums up my “job description”:
Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. (1 Timothy 4:16).

These are visible signs of my call into pastoral ministry.

I have an icon of Jesus leaning against some of my books as an indicator that I am part of a great tradition of Christians who were here long before I was and that the church is much broader than “Baptist”. Although I am proud to be a “Baptist” Christian I have a comic on my door of two kids walking to church with one of the kids saying to the other, “We’re Baptist’s. What abomination are you?” There is an absurdity around denominationalism all centred around the person who prayed that we would be one as the Triune God is one. (John 17:20-26).

Finally, I have a picture of death. The words we are afraid to use are revealing. Like when we talk about the “birds and the bees” instead of sex or, as is now common, we refer to a funeral as a “celebration of life."

In the Middle Ages scholars used to place a skull on their desk so that they wouldn’t forget their mortality. I thought it would be good to redeem this practice, but realized that a skull might not go over well, even if it were only a plastic one from Halloween. I’ve opted for a picture instead.

In many Medieval Churches you can see pictures of people from different stations of life. There are kings, serfs, merchants, servants and babies. Then, beside each of them stands a dancing skeleton known as “The Dance of Death”. This skeleton is a Grim Reaper type figure who collects the dead when a person’s time has come to an end. These pictures are to remind people that they are all equal when death calls. From the highest emperor to the lowest peasant everyone will face death. The question then is how we will face death?   

On one of those frescos I found a curate (pastor) standing next to The Dance of Death. As the little story under this picture tells, this pastor lived more for himself than for Christ. I hope that I won’t be like this curate when The Dance of Death comes to get me. On the day of the resurrection I want to hear, “Well done good and faithful servant.” This picture keeps me sober. I want to live in such a way that I won’t go down to the grave listening to The Dance of Death sing:      



Mad fool, old of years.
You have not chosen anything else than the goods of this world.
I know not, what shall become of you.
You paid to little heed to me,
And neither did you think of dying.
Now you must enter into the land,

Mr. Curate, give me your hand.



Question: What kinds of things do you put around your space to reflect your character and help make things feel “homey”?

3 comments:

  1. Amanda Stevenson8 December 2015 at 12:42

    Stef, I love how your study reflects who you are and what you believe in - but you left one thing out! The googly eyes that mysteriously appeared in there on April 1 :)


    I love to surround myself with personal mementos as well, both at work and at home. In my work study (I like that new term!), I have a big wall of photos directly in front of my desk. Each year I add all the photos that were taken at our youth events and it now takes up most of the wall. Some of the photos date back to when I first started interning. I love the visual reminder of why I am doing this job. In the centre of the wall I wrote, "Who You love, I'll love, how You serve, I'll serve, if this life I lose, I will follow You." It helps keep me focused on the frustrating days. I actually got this idea from Bob, who has a whole room in his house with old youth photos on the walls, dating back to when many of our 40+ adults were in youth. Very cool!

    I also have other things in my office such as a board of notes, encouragement cards, grad photos, etc. from students, a white board where I routinely write in new quotes or Bible verses, an Eiffel Towel painting from a former student (it was a wedding gift; we were engaged there), my favourite verse (Jeremiah 31:31-34) on a canvas, my Shakespeare bobble head, some sea shells (my favourite natural reminder of God's character), and many photos of family and friends.


    I try to be intentional about decorating in our home as well. As an artist I have always been against "hotel art" and will only hang artwork that I have bought from an artist directly (my favourite is one from Montmartre in Paris), or something I have painted or a photo Sheldon has taken.

    We have lovely built-in shelving in the kitchen where I store our many trinkets, such as gifts, photos, more seashells, Lego, even my old dog's collar. I love to fill our shelves with things we love and reminders of travels, or family and friends.


    But my favourite of all is the wall of photos in my office!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could have it my way, my house wouldn’t have any pictures on the walls, or ornaments on the shelves, nothing to define me, doors, windows and walls that is all!
    But I have done enough life to know that even the bare walls, would say something about me; probably: “this lady is insane!”

    I have also lived long enough that by now I have many treasured reminders of people I love and moments I will never forget.

    If you enter our family room you will know right away that we are grandparents and that we come from another country.
    On the fireplace mantel, on the shelves and on the walls are pictures of our gorgeous grandchildren, in a glass cabinet, I keep tokens from my country, reminders of a land and a culture I still love.
    The refrigerator in the kitchen is covered with art work from my grandchildren and on the common kitchen desk, there are bibles and one of the books that I ‘m reading now.
    -I always like to keep one of my books in the kitchen- there is always time to read a page or two while dinner is on the stove.

    Ten years ago when my younger daughter got married and left home, I claimed her bedroom for my office and while I was sadly missing her I was happily moving my escritoire, books and computer in there and transforming that room into my little oasis, Ah! The pains of an empty nest!

    On my desk I have a wooden sparrow with Matthew 10:29-31 written on its wing. This was a gift from my oldest daughter and a reminder to trust God and not to fear…
    I also have a wooden figurine of a mother and two daughters; this was a gift from my youngest. My youngest has the same acid sense of humor I have, so she wrote a little note that came with the gift and it says: “This gift is to remind you that you stole my room!”
    The artist that created this figurine wrote on the bottom in Spanish “Madres e hijas, un amor sin igual”-mothers and daughters; a love like no other-

    On the wall I have certificates displaying literary accomplishments that no one remembers but me, group pictures of my classes through the years and a plaque, also given to me by my oldest daughter, it says “I will write until not a single word remains in my soul…Until every story in my heart has been told until my mind’s well of ideas is bone dry and even then I will write on because writing is not something I do but part of who I am”.

    Of course I have my books, my guitar (that I don’t play anymore) my marionettes and puppets and dozens of felt stories, these, are for work, as often they are part of circle/story time at school.

    I like my office, some might think that it has a bunch of items thrown together; I prefer to think that my office’s eclectic style reflects my enigmatic personality…will, perhaps I am embellishing a little.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this time of year, the decorations collected along life's journey are displayed. Decorations from grandparents and ornaments made or given by family and friends. Memories shaped in glass, ceramic and even blue plastic.
    >
    > The silly Christmas bauble in blue from my daughter, last year, to mess up moms perfectly colour coordinated tree. It still makes me giggle. This the perfect representation of my daughters humour.
    >
    > One book that was a gift from my son, sits displayed on my bookshelf. He, in an bookstore in England, stumbled on an old copy of "A Christmas Carol" dated, 1925. Names are written in the leaves of those that received it over the years. Notes inside this book indicate it was used for a play. The thoughtfulness of this choice meant so much to me. I do love this story; Charles Dickens teaching the lesson of kindness learned.
    >
    > When not Christmas, the pictures on the walls tell the story of our many adventures overseas. I collected tapestries from Venice, pictures of Jerusalem and a collage of our tickets, money and a painting from Morocco. My passports are in the cabinet but the stories lived, are firmly seated in my brain. I loved to see the world and the beauty left by Gods' gifted artisans. I liked to experience the throbbing life of another culture. Some of it puzzling and harsh but all of it showing me the many facets of human life.
    >
    > I have crosses displayed to remind me of Gods love for me. Candles reminding me of the illumination of Gods word...and many, many bibles collected over my lifetime, some well marked, that I read over and over. These helping me survive some tough times lived.
    >
    > Even though all this collected is meaningful and brings comfort when I see it...I wonder if one day, I could walk away from the security of the familiar, to reach out to the lost world. This thought has crossed my mind so many times of late. Could I let it go...could any of us, do so? After all, the Stef described Toy Box of our home, can keep us from reaching out to the many needy in our world.
    >
    > Is security in the things we own or in Him that owns, us?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.