Saturday 4 April 2015

Chapter 12: Meadowlodge


I first attended Meadowlodge Bible Camp the summer before grade six. I was in cabin six and my counsellor’s name was Al Lowrie. For five years I had been attending a Lutheran church and had become familiar with many of the Bible stories, the Christian creeds, commandments and prayer. It was at camp, however, that Jesus became real to me through a man named Al. Al seemed to not only know about God, but to know God. That week I studied Al closely. I particularly remember how important it was for him to spend time reading the Bible and praying.

One morning, before anyone was up, Al got out of his bed and started to head outside. His movement woke me and, as our cabin door creaked opened, I whispered to him, “Where are you going?”

“Out for a jog and to pray,” he whispered back.

He left, but I didn’t go back to sleep. I just reflected on Al’s commitment.

When camp was over, Al told us to pray for him because he was going to Nepal to be a missionary. I went home inspired by Al. I wanted what he had. I wanted to be committed to Jesus like he was.

Pastor Stef with his cabin group at Meadowlodge. He is the one on the far left.


The next summer I was back at the same camp with a friend I brought from school. I came full of questions and was impacted by the speaker Marvin Hess. Many evenings I sat in the chapel asking Marvin questions. How could God be three in one? What did Jesus mean when he said that John the Baptist was Elijah? Who was Obadiah? Marvin Hess would patiently take me through the scripture and attempt to answer my questions. His knowledge and familiarity with the Bible impressed me. My friend also made a commitment to Christ that week and, as I watched Marvin pray with him, I knew that God was calling me into ministry. I wanted to know my Bible like this. I wanted to pray with people like this. I wanted to serve God and others with my life.

At this same camp, a few years later, a speaker challenged us to give our lives over to service for Jesus. He gave us each a package of salt and told us to write the date of August 28th on it as our statement of commitment. I kept that package of salt. Two months before I entered Bible College, I drove back out to the acreage I’d grown up on (we’d moved to Leduc in my last year of High School), opened it, poured it on the ground and prayed, “Lord, let me be the salt of the earth for you.”

I started grade seven after my second year at Meadowlodge Bible Camp. The Lutheran church we were at didn’t have much for youth and, because I made a lot of friends at this camp, my parents decided to switch churches to one affiliated with the camp. We started attending Wycliff Bible Chapel, a Plymouth Brethren church.

The Brethren’s high value on “the priesthood of believers” provided an excellent atmosphere for me to learn how to preach. The denomination has no pastors and each church is run by a group of lay elders (men only). These elders would take turns preaching on Sundays. This proved to me that preaching is not something only trained professionals can do. In fact, many of these elders were better than the “professional” Lutheran ministers I had grown accustomed to sleeping through. I could also see their point regarding the dangers of having “professional” clergy. You have to fight hard not to create a clergy/laity division where the clergy do the work and the laity critique. That culture also creates the need for the “rock star” pastor to attract people for church growth. Ironically, the laity can sit for years under all this “good biblical preaching” and still be unable to teach or preach or even pray in public. That’s for the pros! This is something I didn’t see in the Brethren church. The large majority of the men were able to get up and preach if called upon. 

The Brethren taught me a great respect for the Bible. Though I’ve grown to reject much of the Brethren’s conservatism and way of interpreting the Bible (especially their End Times dispensational stuff). But it was in this atmosphere that I learned to preach and to trust that the Bible is God’s word to us.

Attending Wycliff Bible Chapel was a seventy year old man named Bill Steenson. It was Bill’s practice to regularly go out on the streets of Edmonton and hand out Christian tracks. Bill started getting to know me and the two of us began “witnessing” together. There we were, a fourteen year old teenager and a seventy year old senior, handing out tracks, praying together and attempting to reach the lost in downtown Edmonton. I got dirty looks, was sworn at and ignored. But I learned about courage and about how to share my faith and pray with different people. I’m forever grateful for the impact Bill had on my life.

It wasn’t long after this that I began preaching at the downtown Hope Mission. It was one of those deals where, if you want a free supper, you have to sit through a sermon. Learning to preach in the inner city gives you instant feedback. I had to know my audience, not just what I wanted to say. People would stand up in my messages and tell me off, threaten me or ask questions for clarification. Even though I was only fourteen at the time, these lessons started to inform my preaching.

Once I was speaking at an inner city mission during my second year of Bible College. Wanting to show off my new found wisdom, I quoted Francis Schaeffer. Before I finished the quote a guy shouted out, “Who the hell is Francis Schaeffer?” He was right. What relevance did a line from Schaeffer have in this context? I recalled the time my dad dragged me out to the car for interrupting a preacher. I thanked the man, pushed aside my notes and preached in a way more conducive to the people who were there.       

I was getting increasingly excited by all of my experiences of serving the Lord that I wanted to tell Al Lowrie. Al was now in Pakistan and this was the day before email. After tracking down his mailing address I wrote him a letter and, a couple of months later (April of 1988), I received back a letter. I was amazed to find out that he was also a good friend of Bill Steenson. Here is a part of the letter he wrote me:

Of course I remember you, Stefano. You wore a little hat quite often at camp and enjoyed the times we sang while doing dishes. I was very pleased to hear from you and that you are taking a strong stand for Christ. Also a great big thank you for your prayers…. Junior High and High School will be the toughest tests yet, Stefano, especially these days as there is so much pressure to do what ‘everyone else is doing.’ If you continue to take a bold stand for Christ you will encounter much opposition. You will never regret taking a bold stand for Christ. Even though it seems incredibly hard it has proven the most rewarding for me.

I now have been a Christian for almost ten years and instead of it getting boring it is getting better. I did not say easy. I said better. To know Jesus is the best gift in the world. Your letter was very encouraging. Say hello to Bill Steenson. Carry on, Stefano. If you get the chance, write me again. Love in Christ, Al Lowrie.    


Here is part of a second letter I received from Al:

You are right. We need people to go everywhere and tell people about Jesus. You can start right where you are living now and ask the Lord to make you a witness and worker for him. Continue to study the Bible and memorize it. Prove yourself faithful where you are now. Be faithful in the little things – and God will entrust you with bigger things.

I am encouraged by your desire. It is good to know that you are thinking and praying about missions. Take each day as a race and run it as for the Lord, Stefano. You can never compete for a better team, or captain, as the Lord Jesus Christ. Love in Christ, Al Lowrie.   



               Though I was baptized into the Catholic Church and later confirmed in the Lutheran Church, it was in the Brethren church that I decided to get baptised as a believer at the age of 14. Eventually I left the Brethren and got ordained with the Baptists I wonder if I will ever speak in tongues so I can join the Pentecostals and become truly ecumenical! 


Discuss: How have you been impacted by a Christian summer camp?

4 comments:

  1. Amanda Stevenson7 April 2015 at 10:48

    My family went to Green Bay every summer from when I was 8 until I was out of high school. We always had great experiences, but the one that stands out to me was teen camp when I was 14 - I can still remember the speaker and what he spoke about in detail as it had a big impact on my life. It's nice to return to Camp now for our annual youth retreat in May, and to see many of my students go to work there over the summer - what a great way to serve others and grow in faith. Many return much more confident in their faith, gifts, and more.

    I never worked at camp and always regretted it. I almost signed up one summer but was a bit lazy with my application and never ended up doing it. Now I hear all sorts of fun camp stories from my husband Sheldon (he attended and worked at Keats Camp) and wish I had experiences like his. I really encourage teens to get involved with a summer camp, regardless of which one it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I grew up in a very small village in northern Saskatchewan, there was no Bible camp of any kind in my life. However, every summer a group of high school students from Manitoba would come to town and run a VBS (Vacation Bible School) program in the town hall. All the families in the area would billet the students and their chaperones for the week and it was as close to summer camp as we ever got. Our town had a United Church that shared one minister with 2 other towns, and a Catholic Church with a resident priest and his elderly housekeeper. Not a hot-bed of youth activity as you can see. At VBS my sisters and I learned action songs and choruses that Christian children know from infancy, but to us they were NEW ! and EXCITING ! One year 2 young women were billeted in our house, they shared the double bed in my sister's bedroom. On the second last day of VBS they patiently explained the gospel to us, and my little sister enthusiastically accepted Christ. While we were excited for her, to our shame, my older sister and I held back and wouldn't follow her lead. It took me until age 35 before I finally accepted Christ, but the seeds were planted way back in my early childhood by a couple of youth who stepped out and had the courage to share the gospel during their summer vacation.
    Because of this I'm a strong supporter of Christian summer camps, and the VBS program. As a Christian adult I have attended a ladies retreat almost every year and I do believe it is my way of making up for all those camp experiences missing in my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never attended Bible Camp; I didn’t grow up in a Christian family and in all my childhood years, I never went to church.
    As a young adult I remember a missionary family coming around every summer, inviting young people to go to their tent gatherings, but I was too “busy” to attend.

    However, I did go to see the Jesus movie, shown by this missionary family and I believe those missionaries and that movie were the first ropes of kindness and love with which God begun bringing me to himself.

    “I led Israel along with my ropes of kindness and love. I lifted the yoke from his neck, and I myself stooped to feed him.” Hosea 11:4.

    Much later and here in Canada, I became a Christian and my church’s VBS, became the highlight of my summers. I taught the kindergarten class for more than thirty years and I consider those years of VBS, as a treasured gift from God.

    The best way to learn for me is to teach and as I was preparing the lessons I learned all those children’s bible stories that I never had the chance to learn as a child. I so much enjoyed the team spirit that shined through out VBS week!
    I loved the energy, and the excitement that all the children brought!
    I loved telling the stories; time and time again telling the immense story of God’s love in “little” words so a child could understand.

    Of course (in a less spiritual level) I also liked the VBS cookies; there is no cookie that tastes better than a VBS cookie!

    Even as I am writing I am thinking how involved God is in the lives of people.
    How much “unseen” work He does; before and after the cross so that a soul, could find the way back to Him.

    In my case God sent American /Mennonite missionaries, (Herman Buller and family) to rural Uruguay.
    They insisted, kept coming back, inviting, telling, loving.

    The “Jesus” movie seen by so many people, bringing the message in so many languages reached my young heart.

    The local church, from the prayer warriors, to the directors of VBS to the teachers to whoever made the delicious cookies, all done, so that people may hear the Good News.

    I wish I had experience Bible Camp, but God had other plans for me and like all of God’s plans his plan for me, was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE:

    This just came in from a member of my previous congergation in Greenfield. It is from someone who read this story and happened to know Al Lowrie. She contacted him and then sent me this email:


    Hi Stef – Great to see you at the Taylor Board meetings for the time I could observe. I am looking forward to serving along with you and the great individuals making up the board.

    I had a chance to - first – send a link to your story around your camp experience to Al Lowrie, who is now the principal at Millwoods Christian School. And then I ran into him last week. He passed on how touched he was to read your blog – and how he had shed a tear when he read the account. He said it brought back many memories and touched him deeply – and that there was a story to be told from his side too (as we all have our stories).

    He was so happy to have had that connection – and although not looking for God’s reassurance in our lives – how cool for him to bless us with his reassurance – that it is his plan and His story for our lives.

    Thanks again for sharing your story.

    Lori
    Lori Schmidt
    Chief Executive Officer
    GO Productivity

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.