Saturday 2 May 2015

Chapter 16: Thane

The year was 1990. I was in grade 10. And I lost my best friend Thane Fiebich on July 11. The accident occurred two months earlier when Thane’s family was burning grass on their farm. The winds picked up and they lost control of the fire as it moved in the direction of a large propane tank. Thane’s mother knew they were in trouble and quickly hid the family behind a pickup truck. As suspected, the propane tank became engulfed in flames and exploded. It then landed right on top of the truck they were hiding behind. Thane’s younger brother and sister died instantly. Thane, 95% burned, was rushed to the hospital where he died a couple of months later. Thane’s mother survived, 65% burned, but ended up in a wheelchair and underwent years of rehabilitation. The only one to come out of this without any physical scars was Thane’s father Roland, who was out running errands when the accident occurred. 

I was at home with my friend Fraser when this happened. I remember playing badminton with him in our front yard when we became distracted by a large billow of smoke about ten kilometers away. Commenting to each other on “how cool” the smoke column appeared we didn’t realize we were staring at the destruction of our friend and his family.    


Life is unfair. Shortly after this incident Roland and his wife separated. A few months later, a borrowed, uninsured baling machine burst into flames on his farm and burned up $1000 worth of uninsured grain. Add to this the fact that nine years earlier Roland lost his only other child, a two-and-a-half year old boy who was crushed in a farm gate. The following article from the Edmonton Sun reads like a modern day account of the biblical story of Job.

Roland Fiebich stared into the smoke-blackened sky above his burning New Sarepta barley field and pleaded, “Why, God?”
Fiebich, still reeling after losing his three children in a horrific farm accident May 4, was dealt another brutal blow yesterday.
An uninsured baling machine he borrowed from a neighbour burst into flames – setting the barley field on fire.
“What’s next? It’s one nightmare after another,” said Fiebich.
Before firefighters and neighbors put the wind-whipped blaze out, Fiebich lost more than $1000 worth of uninsured grain on his New Sarepta farm, 40 km southeast of Edmonton.
The tragedy was precluded by the May explosion of a neighbor’s 2,000-litre propane tank, which sprayed mother Debbie Fiebich and the children with liquid fire.
Jessica Fiebich, 7, died almost immediately. Her six-year-old brother Wyatt died in University Hospital the next day.
Thane, 15, died July 11 in the same hospital after his burns became severely infected.
And in 1981, the Fiebichs were shattered by the death of two-year-old Clinton, who was crushed by a farm gate.
But at least there’s something to be thankful for in the latest of these “totally crazy” accidents, Fiebich said bitterly.  
This time no one died.
“Death seems to be something that sticks and follows me around,” he said. “The devil is trying to see how far he can push me,” Fiebich said.
He isn’t sure how much farther that is. At the moment, however, he’s not ready to “go jump off a bridge.”
“There’s a life to lead and a job to do. Somewhere, somehow, there’s got to be happiness out of all this mess.”
If happiness is possible, Fiebich will try to dredge it out of the memories of a cheerful, loving farm family.
“The farm is where the children would have grown up. It’s something the children would have taken over.”
The memories – and his religious faith – help give the empty farm house a sense of home.
However, for his wife, who leaves the Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital on weekends, coming home gives her more pain than peace.
“One weekend she said to me, ‘the farm isn’t home. The hospital is my home now,’” said Fiebich.[1]
                         
How does a 16 year old make sense of this? Unfortunately, this is normal for many 16 year olds in many parts of the world. And one doesn’t make sense of it. The randomness of suffering doesn’t make sense. The argument of suffering is the best argument against the idea of an all-powerfully good God. I’m still no closer to an answer on this one and find most attempts to answers it to be less than helpful, especially to those in the midst of suffering.

At my High School graduation I was asked to say some in remembrance of Thane, as he would have been graduating with us. Though my speech is filled the typical clichés of a High School graduation speech, and it contains some things I no longer believe, it reflects my thoughts at the time. The irony of using Thane’s tragedy to give a “nothing-can-stop-you-from-being-whatever-you-set-your-mind-to” speech didn’t occur to me at the time. You can dream as much as you want, but if a burning propane tank lands on your head, all the positive thinking in the world isn’t going to save you.

Thane Roland Fiebich, August 4, 1974 – July 11, 1990. Tonight I would like to take a few moments and reflect on a true friend and role-model to our class. As most of you remember, Thane Fiebich was a part of our class a few years ago and would have been graduating with us tonight. I would have to say that Thane was one of the most respected members in our class. He displayed friendship, compassion, honesty and, most of all, determination. Thane taught me a lot, and when it came to determination he taught me that believing in myself is one of the most important qualities to have. When you believe in yourself it doesn’t matter what other people say or what gets thrown your way, you can make it. Thane’s entire attitude was one of striving to be the best. He showed this not only in the way he talked, but also in the way he walked. I don’t believe people live for nothing; everyone has a reason for their life and a message to teach others. If Thane were here tonight, and was asked to give a final word of advice to his class, I know what he would say. As Thane’s friend I feel honored to have the privileged of passing on his message. If you want to do something, anything, do it. Your only defeat in life is when you convince yourself you can’t. Thane taught me that my life can be filled with dreams that come true, as long as I keep dreaming and keep believing. This message is for all of us: let’s strive forward and prove to this world that the impossible is possible. Let’s allow Thane’s message to live and shine with us for the rest of eternity.



[1] Roberta Staley, “Hard-luck Family: New Disaster for New Sarepta Farmers” (Edmonton Sun, 1990), 4.


Discussion question: What was the greatest loss you experienced in high school and what impact did that have on you?

3 comments:

  1. This is a "trigger" topic for me. When I was 19 I also lost a close friend in a fire.

    Jeremy was a friend I met at my first job, Fishworld Pets. We were one year apart in high school and got to know one another at work. We often carpooled because we lived a block apart. Jeremy was a great friend - he was so personable, made everyone laugh, and really cared about his friends. I remember one time at work, he surprised one of our regular customers (a really wonderful lady) by buying her some fish for her saltwater tank and loading them into her car with her husband's help as she shopped, unknowing. I find that one can often tell what a person's character is truly like by how they treat animals. Jeremy had a great character.

    Jer had a rough life - no dad, and a drug-addicted mom. He moved out before high school graduation, living with a friend. Despite his hard life, you'd never know when you met him. He was just a great guy all around, and was also one of the only friends I had at the time who I could talk openly about my faith with - no judgement, no ridicule, just questions about what I believed, even though he didn't share my faith. I actually think he would have become a Christian if he was still alive, which is why I still struggle with his death today. He also looked out for his little brother, who at the time was still living with their mom.

    2 weeks shy of his 20th birthday, his house burned down in the middle of the night. He rented a little place with a friend - and that particular night his brother and her sister was also sleeping over. Someone (NOT Jeremy) didn't put out their cigarette properly and it caught their outdoor couch on fire. I don't think their fire alarm worked either. Jeremy's younger brother made it out without a scratch, but the others didn't wake up in time and all 3 perished - the 2 girls died in hospital several weeks later, but Jeremy died of smoke inhalation that night and thankfully didn't suffer long. His brother was on the front lawn to witness the house go up in flames.

    Looking back, I feel pretty similar to you Stef. Why would God allow something like that to happen to someone who already had a tough life and was slowly working his way out of his broken childhood? Why did the siblings have to sleep over - that girl could be alive and his brother would never have these memories, nor would he be without family today. Why did it have to happen to Jeremy, a guy who was sincerely interested in hearing about my faith?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrestled with the thought of not sharing my story this week. It has been only mine for so many years and it is so deeply engraved in my heart that writing about it will without a doubt bring some painful memories, but then, death always does…

    When I was a child my little rural school did not have a kindergarten class, so at age six I became part of the grade one class .Making friends has been difficult for me all my life, even in those early years, so the first day of school was a scary and lonely experience.

    At recess time I sat on the steps outside my classroom all by my self until Wilson came and sat beside me. He was seven years old and he spend all recess time sitting with me. I don’t remember much of our conversation but I do remember him telling me that I was his girlfriend and that we were going to get married one day. I thought that was cool, and I agreed. We never spoke about this “marriage agreement” again. In fact we rarely spoke at all. Throughout the elementary school years, there were little notes, a school dance or two, school mates telling each other that Wilson and Alicia were boyfriend and girlfriend but that was just about it.

    I was fifteen year old and he was sixteen when we begun dating. We were going together for almost a year when he begun to suffer severe head aches, soon he had the diagnosed; it was a brain tumor.
    There were a few months of frantic doctor visits and hospitalization and then one day his father brought him home. Wilson got out of the car, walked right into his room took his gun and shot himself on the head.

    Death is death, however when it comes by suicide it leaves family and friends to deal not only with the loss of the loved one but also with unresolved feelings,” whys?” and anger.

    I mourned Wilson as an unbeliever mourns another unbeliever; without hope.

    A few years went by and God gave me a second chance at love, I met my husband and eventually had two beautiful daughters. I also met Jesus, became a Christian and lived surrounded by loving Christian people. My story has a happy ending but Wilson’s story does not. Did he ever have the opportunity to hear about Christ? Why was I “chosen” to live and why did he have to die? I don’t know if those questions even have an answer.

    What I do know thought, is how urgent is that we tell others about Jesus. Is not that the future doesn’t belong to us, is that life doesn’t belong to us. Life is so fragile that only Jesus permeating it can make it strong and lasting. Young or old, we need to tell, old or young we need to hear the gospel news.

    I made a choice of remembering Wilson not as the disfigured person in the casket, but as the sweet seven year old boy that sat with me on the steps outside my classroom.
    However that does not take the sadness of knowing that he wasn’t a Christian when he died.
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Alicia Epp, I was not going to share about my loss story in high school. But she drew me out. Que fastidiosa eres, Alicia!
    I will start by sharing my first experience with death when I was in grade 4 (in Korea at the time in the late 50’s). I was at the time the class elected teacher’s assistant. I had a nice schoolmate who is also usually very quiet. He did not come to school for a week. One day the teacher asked me to accompany her to visit him. He had become sick. So we bought some apples and went to this “hotel”, not their home or a hospital. Later I learned that he hotel was a hospice (something I did not grasp at that age) and my friend was very sick. We visited him regularly and I observed that he was losing weight and getting frail. At the third month he had only skin over bones. I became scared witnessing his transformation and began to struggle at each visit. Soon after he passed away, and it left me with many random images and thoughts but none made any sense. The least was a sense of guilt for not wanting to visit him…
    In high school when I was growing up in Lima Peru, one night I dreamed a fiery fire in a room and someone was in it. A person trapped amidst brilliantly bright yellow-reddish flames. It disturbed me. But what was more disturbing was I had the same dream every night, for the next 48 nights. I became lost. Dream seemed reality and reality seemed floating in the air, hard to grasp. I went to see my psychology teacher and my mother took me to the doctor. But I would still see the same image every night. On the 49th night the dream ceased. Two weeks later my mother received a letter from one of my aunts that my cousin who was a sailor had perished in a fire on his cargo ship in the Pacific. The fire occurred about the same time when the dream had stopped. I never shared this story beside with my parent. It made no sense to me and won’t to others. It also left a touch of guilt, was he trying…
    Death never made sense. But I am on another journey. Lately I heard Pastor Stef keeps saying do not stand on “the promises of God” but on “God who promises”. So could I reframe on death by focusing more on God and see where that will take me to?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.