Saturday 18 July 2015

Chapter 27: Resolutions

Between the years 1722-1723 Jonathan Edwards recorded his 70 Resolutions.  As Stephen Nichols said, “When he wrote these resolutions, Edwards was completing his schooling and ministerial training and was anticipating setting out on his life’s work. He took advantage of the opportunity to pause and reflect on the type of person he wanted to be and the way in which he wanted to live his life.” 

Though I find some of Edwards’ Resolutions ridiculous, like number 38 where he resolves to “never speak anything that is sportive or a matter of laughter on the Lord’s day,” I find his motive behind the Resolutions inspiring. This led me to attempt the same thing and, on June 10, 2002, after two years of ministry at Greenfield Baptist, I wrote out the following twenty-two resolutions for my life. These are not things I uphold perfectly, but I frequently go over this list as a challenge to keep growing in character and godliness. I’ll begin with a verse I keep on my desk. A verse that keeps me focused on my calling. 

               Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers. (1 Tim. 4:16).

1.  Resolved:  To make uncompromising faithfulness to Christ my number one goal whether that brings me personal success or not.
2.  Resolved:  To spend time each day in prayer and Bible reading.
3.  Resolved:  To make learning a lifelong pursuit and to continually develop my God-given gifts. 
4.  Resolved:  To make the Bible my standard for living whether I personally like what it has to say or not.
5.  Resolved:  To recognize that God has called me to preach and teach his word and, therefore, not allow other good things to distract me from my primary calling (Acts 6:1-4).   
6.  Resolved:  To not dishonor God, my wife, and other women by looking at them in a lustful manner; and to keep away from the things and places that bring about temptation.
7.  Resolved:  To repent immediately when I mess up and to ask for forgiveness to whomever I’ve wronged.
8.  Resolved:  To love the people that I pastor and not complain about the congregation that God has called me to shepherd.
9.  Resolved:  To not be a complainer in any area of my life.   
10. Resolved:  To maintain a passionate relationship with God. 
11. Resolved:  To make an effort to share my faith with lost people and to disciple those who are already in the faith. 
12. Resolved:  To not hold a grudge against anyone and to forgive others even when they were clearly in the wrong.
13. Resolved:  To not keep my struggles a secret so that they do not gain a foothold in my life.  
14. Resolved:  To willingly live on less so as to use my resources for the kingdom of God and to combat materialism.
15. Resolved:  To regularly spend time with my wife and children and be the spiritual head of my household.
16. Resolved:  To work as hard as I can for God and then leave the results up to him.
17. Resolved:  To maintain an optimistic attitude and have a sense of humor.
18. Resolved:  To not use people or be focused on numerical growth, but to be people focused.
19. Resolved:  To make decisions that are best for the church and for God’s ministry and not merely to gratify my own personal ego.
20. Resolved:  To not brag about my successes or wallow in my failures, but to be content and give God the glory in all situations. 
21. Resolved:   To stand my ground on essentials, to compromise on nonessentials, and to show genuine love in all matters.

22. Resolved: To improve when and where I am weak and not be proud when and where I am strong.


Discussion: What are some life resolutions that you have made?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.