Saturday 12 September 2015

Chapter 28: Josiah

On March 22, 2002 Nancy and I had our first child. We named him Josiah Luke Piva, however, for two days his name was Josiah James Piva. We had Josiah on a Friday, shortly after midnight, and registered his name as Josiah James Piva. On Sunday I went to church and announced the news to our congregation. Immediately after the service I was flooded with members referring to our new baby as “J.J.” Nancy was horrified. She was adamant that her child was not going to go through life with the nickname J.J. She sent me back to the hospital to find his birth registration and change his name. Fortunately it was the weekend and none of the paperwork had been sent off. After finding it, I crossed off the name “James” and replace it with “Luke.” (James would eventually be given to his younger brother). Nancy and I specifically picked an Old and New Testament name for our boys to reflect our faith and our desire for them to become followers of Jesus. We do not expect them to walk with Jesus exactly as we do, or to share all our views, but that they become close to Jesus is important to us.    


               At about fourteen months Josiah began walking and the first clear word out of his mouth was “ball.” His new ability to pull himself up also resulted in his first accident. It happened while I was sitting on the toilet. He and I were at home alone and I thought I could leave him out of my sight for a couple of minutes while I took care of a pressing matter. No sooner had I got into a comfortable position than I heard a crash come from his room. It scared the proverbial crap out of me, although this time it wasn’t proverbial! Quickly pulling up my pants I ran into his room to discover that he’d pulled down his dresser upon himself. The ornaments that had been on top had shattered on the ground and from underneath the dresser I could hear his muffled crying. Horrified as to how I might find him, I lifted the dresser off of him as carefully as possible. There he was, covered in the blankets that had fallen out of the drawers that had opened up as the dresser came down. He happened to end up in an open section and didn’t even receive a scratch. I quickly thanked God and then thought of how I would explain this to Nancy. I spent the rest of the afternoon screwing down everything in the house, after I’d finished what I set out to do in the bathroom with Josiah sitting right in front of me! (Sorry Josiah, I know that wasn’t the most pleasant place for you, but I had to keep my eyes on you – consider it payback for all your stinky diapers!)  

               It’s been important for me to develop a relationship with each of my kids. When Josiah turned eight I started something with him that I have begun with each of my kids at that age. We call it “Day out with Dad.” Once a month I take each one out for some one-on-one time. We may go to Starbucks or McDonald’s. We may take in a Vancouver Whitecaps soccer game. We may watch a movie together. I’ve gone through all the Star Wars movies with my boys this way.

Being the oldest myself I can relate to some of the burdens and privileges that come from being a firstborn. Our move to Vancouver was probably most difficult for Josiah as he had more ties to his Edmonton school friends than his younger brother and sister. The first couple of months in his new school found Josiah a bit out of sorts. On one occasion a teacher called him over on the playground and, even though he wasn’t doing anything wrong, he got scared and ran away. That then did get him in trouble. On another occasion he carved up his desk with a pair of scissors and, after being called down to the principal’s office, ended up having to pay for a new desktop. 

               Josiah enjoys reading, especially Archie Comics, Amulet graphic novels and Harry Potter. He also creates his own books. He’s been working on one for about four years now entitled The Adventures of Eipo and Peipo versus the Big Bad Josiah and Micah. It’s fun to watch his spelling improve as the book goes on and he gets older. Josiah also enjoys creating his own Pokémon cards, playing soccer, jumping on the trampoline, hanging out with his friends and mastering video games.

We are pretty open about things as a family. Around the dinner table we talk about growing up, friends, the news, Africa and sex. After supper we are currently reading a book of theology and a modern English version of Pilgrim’s Progress for preteens. This allows us to get into some great conversations about things like the trinity and God’s eternal nature. Josiah and I have also read and discussed books together on the Apostle’s Creed and the Ten Commandments, which I plan to do with the others when they get older.

As I watch Josiah enter his teenage years I am excited for him and his future. Even though the teen years are not always easy, they can be so fun and full of lasting memories. I am Josiah’s biggest fan. I love him more than my own life.


Josiah, I know you will not always feel like talking to me in the years to come, but let’s keep up our “day out with dad” and know that you can talk to me anytime, anywhere about anything, whether it is, good, bad or ugly, I’ll walk with you and we will get through it together. I love you.


Question: Share a story about your first born or, if you are a first born, share a story about being a first born.

2 comments:

  1. It was the time of gingerbread cookies, glittering ornaments on the Christmas tree, busy malls and jolly Santa. It was the time when the sounds of credit cards being swiped, filled the air. It was the time to buy into the illusion of the perfect gift, the perfect family and the perfect turkey dinner. For me though, that Christmas eve of 1979, it was the time to do that silly Lamaze breathing and receive my first baby! She announced herself on Christmas Eve but actually arrived on Christmas morning and no, I didn’t find her under the tree and yes, she was and still is the most precious gift. Being a new mother is stressful enough, but being a new mother, in a new country, not knowing the language, goes from being stressful to being frightening and a little bit crazy! But my beautiful baby was a tiny fighter, a survivor-really- and she did survive my mothering and grew up to be the amazing lady that she is today. I wish I could take credit for the woman she turned out to be, but the truth is that from the very first time that the nurse placed her in my arms, she begun to teach me. I am so grateful for the church family we had at that time, for the way they came alongside my husband and I to raise our child. From the nursery workers to the youth Pastor, their dedication and love for the Lord and for the children reinforced what was taught at home and at the tender age of eight my daughter accepted Jesus as her Saviour. Hard to believe, but I had a difficult time accepting the fact that she was really serious about her decision at her level of understanding. I thought “it took me twenty three years and many sins until I came to know the Lord, and how then can a little child say -I want Jesus in my heart- and Jesus comes and envelopes with his and love?” Again through my daughter God taught me about the gift of salvation and the meaning of grace. She grew in the knowledge and love for the Lord as the years went by, but the decision she made when she was eight never faded. She is a mother now, some times I like to quietly disappear in the background and observe her with her two daughters and I don’t know how Christian of me this is; but I feel proud and beyond that, I feel so grateful for the work of God in my life and in my family’s life. My first daughter loves doing crafts and she is genuinely nice to people, that is the only inkling that maybe, just maybe I did find her under the Christmas tree after all…

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josiah is a great kid and I'm excited that he is starting youth this year. March 22 has been one of the most popular birthdays for our youth over the years - he is born on the same day as some of my favourite people who have spent time in our ministry :)

    I am the first born of two first borns, and so is Sheldon! We are both stubborn but rarely fight. Not sure how we have defied the odds on that one! Now we joke that when we have a kid they will be the first born of first borns of first borns, which is pretty cool!

    I enjoyed being the first born for the most part. Sometimes it doesn't feel fair to pave the way for a younger sibling... I remember being a bit resentful of Paul when we went to Disneyland... I thought about how it wasn't fair that I had to wait until I was 7 to go and he got to go when he was 4! That logic didn't last too long though. It is different being the first born but there are perks to it as well, even when we are the ones paving the way for younger siblings to break the rules!

    I am also the oldest of 8 cousins on my dad's side. I actually found this harder than being just an older sibling, because after I was born, the next 4 grandkids were boys. By the time the next granddaughter was born, I was 7 so I never really got to play with another girl my age in our family. It bothered me in my teen years because I felt a bit like an outsider with my cousins. But now that we are older, it's great, and we all get along very well. I definitely feel a stronger bond with my youngest cousin, Kris, because of this. It was me, 4 boys, then 2 girls, then Kris - so while I was separated in years from my girl cousins, he had the same issue with the guys. We are still very close, and I think it's because we "get" each other in a way that the rest of the grandkids probably can't understand since they had a guaranteed playmate at all times. I'm really thankful for Kristopher despite our 11 year gap!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.