Saturday 13 June 2015

Chapter 22: Nancy

In the summer of ‘95 I met Nancy. I was volunteering for a week as a counselor at Camp Caroline and Nancy was there as the summer song leader. We had little interaction that week and the only thing I remembered about her was that she sang with a country voice and wore too much make-up.

That fall Nancy moved from Calgary to Edmonton to work on her Master’s degree in Speech Pathology at the University of Alberta. Her roommate happened to be helping me run the youth ministry at Northgate. When I had items to discuss regarding youth events I would call Suzanne to talk. At one point Nancy answered the phone. We talked briefly and she then passed me on to Suzanne. The phone calls to Suzanne continued. Nancy would answer and we would talk a bit longer each time. Eventually I started calling just to talk to Nancy.

One of the first things that attracted me to Nancy was the great conversationalist she was. She was so easy to talk with and could discuss things of substance. I liked how she thought. I liked how she expressed herself. I liked how her faith wasn’t full of clichés and “easy believism”. She had a great mind. When I noticed that I even started to like the way she laughed, I knew something was happening to me. So I found my courage and asked her out on a date.

Our first date was to the restaurant Chili’s. I didn’t have a car and so I borrowed one from my best friend Andre. I picked her up at her apartment and, after getting lost (a lifelong driving problem I’ve had), we spent the evening together. It was one of the best times I’d experienced in years (and I’m sure she was wearing less make-up)! Shortly thereafter we started dating regularly and, after only a few weeks of being in a more serious relationship, we headed down to Calgary to meet her family. Being from Edmonton, that weekend gave me one more reason to hate Calgary.

Nancy’s parents did not give me the warmest reception. In fact, it was rather icy. With the exception of Nancy’s sister Tara, I was not well received. I felt Tara was the only one who made an attempt to get to know me and help me feel comfortable. To this day I think Tara is awesome and I enjoy hanging out with her and her husband and kids.

The cold reception I got from Nancy’s parents, however, quickly made Nancy awkward to be around. This made me awkward to be around. And this made everything awkward! The drive home to Edmonton after was very awkward, where these two talkative people even experienced long bouts of silence. I remember arriving back at my bachelor pad, slumping down on my mattress and thanking God that the weekend had finally come to an end. A few days later we decided to stop seeing each other.  

But this wasn’t the end. Once the negativity of the weekend washed off, and we’d put 300 kilometres between Nancy’s parents, we started talking again. The two of us connected so well. After a few more months of building up our friendship we decided to give it another try. This time we stayed together for a year and then we got engaged.


That year was full of great memories, but also a lot of painful and emotional distress, particularly on Nancy’s part. The question as to whether or not “I was the one” for her drove Nancy’s anxiety through the roof. (Nancy has long since given up the silly belief that God only has “one” right person for you). Much of Nancy’s indecisiveness came from her mom’s less than enthusiastic response to our relationship. This made us do stupid things like have no contact with each other for two weeks in order to “discover God’s will.” We even did this over Valentine’s Day. That night Andre (also dateless) and I went to see Mr. Holland's Opus and, standing in line with the other couples, were handed a rose when we paid for our tickets. J

Our two weeks of no contact and other excursions to “search for God’s will,” never resulted in any more certainty and put a lot of unhealthy stress on our relationship. Nancy and I are both too logical and skeptical to trust mystical insights and feelings anyway. The two of us came to realize that a commitment meant the risk of making a choice. God wasn’t going to make it for us. He had guided us in what it meant to live with a passion for Jesus, but we had to make the choice about each other. There was no Bible verse that was going to give us the answer. I came to the decision that I wanted to marry Nancy much earlier than she decided about me. Nancy had a harder time, particularly because of her parents.  

I decided to do the traditional thing and ask Nancy’s parents for their blessing and for their daughter’s hand in marriage. Though a part of me feels this process to be a medieval concept that treats women like property, I thought I should at least be respectful to her parents. This wasn’t the time to stand-up for the equality of women. I already wasn’t seen in the best light.

We’d been dating for a year and Nancy and I were heading down for another weekend to the dreaded city of the Calgary Flames. That weekend I waited until Nancy was out of the house so I could be alone with her parents to ask them my question. When the time arrived I got them to sit at the kitchen table and told them that I had fallen in love with their daughter and that I would like to marry her. I was asking for their permission and blessing. I had barely finished when Nancy’s mom starting crying, but not tears of joy. Through her tears she told me that this was not God’s will for us. She then got up and went into the living room. That left me with Nancy’s dad. After a moment of silence he looked at me and asked, “Is this what my daughter wants?” I told him, “Yes.” He replied, “Well, I want my daughter to be happy and if this is what she thinks will make her happy than I’ll support her.” He told his wife to come back into the kitchen, explained the situation, and that’s how things ended. I never did get a blessing from them, but at least I got a “we won’t stand in our daughter’s way if this is what she wants.”

Once Nancy and I were engaged things settled down emotionally for us. Our seven month engagement was much smoother than our year of dating. Gone was the tension of “discovering God’s will” and “mom doesn’t like this.” We realized that following God was found in choosing to live as integral individuals who honored each other and not in “finding the right person.” And Nancy realized that she had to make this decision, not her mom. If her mom chose to be unhappy with it, then so be it. 

I like to think I helped Nancy become more rebellious. And Nancy has probably tempered me. In fact, Nancy’s becoming more rebellious than me at times. That’s ok. I’ll take a rebelliously passionate woman over an apathetically passive one any day. 

 I love Nancy. I can’t relate those who talk about the ongoing problems in their marriages. Every year I am more in love with Nancy. Every year she becomes more beautiful. Every year I realize how wonderful it is to be married to her. I’ve never second guessed my decision. I’ve never not wanted to be married to her. Even when she is mad and disagrees with me she is sexy! She challenges me. Pushes me. Encourages me. Comforts me. In all ways, I see her as my equal. We are two strongly independent people who are crazy about and committed to each other.

When Nancy and I got married on March 28, 1998 and lit our unity candle we chose to not blow out our individual candles. The two had become one, but we are also still two. We’ve never felt like we’ve had to do everything together or enjoy all the things the other person enjoys. She can hold her own against me theologically and we are comfortable having different views on various subjects. That’s what I love about her. She’s her own person. She is strong. My heart starts beating faster as I think about her.

When it comes to Nancy’s parents, I’ve learned (and chosen) to love them, although we’ve never been close. I can say one thing with certainty, however, Nancy’s mom was wrong about our relationship not being in God’s will!   


Discuss: Share the story of how you and your spouse fell in love.

9 comments:

  1. Sheldon and I grew up together - it's pretty cool to look back on photos and see me at his 2nd birthday party! He was friend with my brother Paul. My dad and Sheldon's mom grew up together too, and our grandparents spent many years having Sunday lunches together before that, so it was great to know each others' families so well even at the start of our relationship. I got to know him when I had just started interning here, and he signed up to be a youth leader. I was interested in him and asked Sue W. to 'pray us into a relationship.' I highly recommend asking Sue for prayer because it worked!

    We started dating in Spring 2009. I mentioned this in another post, but from our first date I was totally at peace with dating Sheldon. I didn't question or second guess our relationship as I had with others in the past - this relationship felt right and I knew right away that if the person he showed me he was on our first date was true, then I would probably end up marrying him!

    I first knew I loved Sheldon when I took a solo trip to PEI a few months into our relationship. Being apart gave me time to reflect on us as a couple and what future we could have together and I knew then that I loved him.

    We dated for several years because we were young when we got together and hadn't finished school yet. It was important to us to be out of school with good jobs before we got married. We got a fair bit of criticism for that but I learned that each relationship looks different, and while others would hate dating as long as we did, it worked for us and I believe our marriage is stronger for it. No 'relationship mold' is going to fit every couple! Some people date for a few months and it's right for them, and for us it was a few years and it was right for us.

    Sheldon proposed when we were on a trip to Paris with my cousin (and Sheldon's best friend) Carlon. It was one week before our 4-year 'date-iversary.' Thankfully, my story is different than yours Stef - both sets of our parents were thrilled. I also loved that Dad didn't give Sheldon permission to marry me, because he is of your opinion on that matter - I'm nobody's property! But he gave his blessing and off to Europe we went, Sheldon with a ring in his pack. Sheldon proposed at the base of the Eiffel tower under the guise that Carlon was just taking a photo of us, so we have pictures of it too! 6 months later we had a crazy fun wedding and now we've been married almost 2 years. I LOVE being married to him and so glad we "found" each other after 18 years growing up together!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan and I met in 2002 when we both attended Columbia Bible College. We spent time with the same people and a friendship began. For various reasons neither one of us saw the other as potential dating material and so our friendship was allowed to grow uninhibited. We enjoyed each others company and occasionally met for coffee just the two of us but usually spent time in groups (and played many a game of Catan).

    A little over a year after we met I moved to Switzerland for 6 months. We continued to stay in contact through e-mails, post cards and the occasional phone call. Shortly after I returned to Canada we decided to go on a hike just the two of us. I didn't think anything of this until the drive there when I got the suspicion that Jonathan had put together a special "date music" CD just for the trip. My thinking shifted and I began to wonder if our friendship could work as something more. During the hike another hiker we met along the way refereed to me as Jonathan's "Sweetie" and we had our first conversation about the possibility of us dating.
    That conversation lasted 3 months! We didn't want to throw away such a good friendship and neither one of us wanted to date just for the sake of dating.
    October 16, 2004 Jonathan asked me to be his girlfriend and I said YES. 6 months later he asked me to marry him and I said YES. 6 months after that we both said I DO! and this October we will be celebrating our 10 Year Wedding Anniversary.

    Today we are still friends and I remain thankful we started out as friends. Of course we are also much more then friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you two being engaged that summer we were all at Shuswap together. I can't think of the details, but isn't there a super cute story for your engagement too? A "Jon and Melissa Day" or something like that? Hard to believe you've been married for nearly a decade - congrats :)

      Delete
    2. We did have a wonderful day together leading up to "the proposal." We were celebrating our 6 month dating anniversary. After dinner we went to White Rock and walked along the beach. We stopped to play "hang-man" in the sand. I went first and he guessed mine "chocolate chip pancakes" which was how the day started when he came over for breakfast. Then it was his tern "Will you Marry Me?" The rest is history.

      Delete
    3. That's right, what a cute idea for a proposal!

      Delete
  3. Corey was my first and last blind date ever. My high school girlfriend worked with Corey and had wanted to match us up for quite some time. It was in September of 1982 and we went with my friend and her boyfriend to a Kinsmen dinner in Port Moody. I was 28 and Corey was 31. I had been engaged when I was 19 to a manic depressive schizophrenic who had voices to kill me ( that's a whole other story !!) and since then had had a couple of fairly serious relationships that ended with me being heart broken. At 28, I had just graduated from UBC with a bachelor of Education degree, was substituting for the Richmond School District and had just moved out into a very tiny bachelorette suite . I was starting to put a life together for myself. I only agreed to go on the date if he would pay!! He agreed. We hadn't been together long when Corey started being "silly" and made me laugh. I laughed quite a bit that night.
    After this date, he waited for four days to contact me. He phoned at 8 on a Tuesday night and we talked until 4 am Wed morning ( that's right an eight hour phone conversation). At one point we had our tv's on the same station for some movie and we turned off the sound and Corey made up the dialogue. I thought he was very, very funny. We began dating and 3 weeks later , I asked him if he would marry me. You see, I wasn't about to waste any more time with anyone who wasn't interested in marriage. He said , "Yes." My parents would have freaked if we announced our intentions after only 3 weeks so we waited until December 4th to tell anyone and for me to sport my ring!! We were married , July 9th 1983 ( the day before I turned 29 so that I could say that I was 28 when I married.) . It was a good decision , but, I always regretted that I didn't have an "engagement" story and told Corey that he needed to propose to me before either one of us died!! He waited 30 years to do it, but, he did it in style. It was in Greece on his archaeological dig. I had a broken ankle and sat above while he worked in the pit. The whole crew except Corey disappeared and then he dropped to one knee confessed that he had always wished that he had been the one to pop the question ( and some other mushy stuff just for me) and asked me to marry him. I didn't hesitate a nano second and said "yes". Suddenly the others appeared with flowers, crowns , chocolate, and playing "We've only just begun" by the Carpenters on an IPod which was our "first dance" song .Best engagement story ever!!! Like Amanda, I believe every couple has their own relationship mold that suits them and while I wouldn't recommend getting engaged after only 3 weeks, it has worked for us and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. If I could change anything, it would have been to be able to meet him 5 years earlier then we might have had one more child and 5 extra years of his silliness!!!
    Val Coyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs”- Shakespeare

    Forty-one years! Looking back and retracing our forty-one years journey I have to disagree with Shakespeare, love is anything but a smoke raised with the fumes of sighs.
    Love is a decision and not a –once in a life time decision-but a decision we make everyday.
    Love is not something we fall in or out off it, it is not just a romantic notion and it is not “a many splendored thing, a rose that only grows in early spring” as the song says, love is-get this- a chocolate cake!

    What I mean to say is that as a cake is the result of the careful mixing of various ingredients, love is also a careful mix of various ingredients.
    Too much or too little of one of those ingredients and you can end up with a flat cake or a flat marriage.
    It has been said that a marriage is a covenant between three people, husband wife and God.
    What I say is that without God showing us how to love, we little humans, would be forever thinking that love is a “smoke raised by the fume of sighs” (my apologies to Shakespeare)

    On to my story, in my country in the 1970’s if a girl was twenty one years old and single, she was an old maid. I was twenty one when I met my husband, twenty two when we got married. We met in February, six month later we were engaged and six month later we were married.
    His family did not approve of me because I wasn’t Mennonite, white, or German. In fact they left the country and came to Canada few months before we married and I didn’t meet them until we came to BC as husband and wife.

    My husband and I are very different; we see life through very dissimilar lenses and that makes life extremely interesting.
    I believe also that because of the grace of God, those differences made our love even stronger. Through out the years, we had to work on our relationship with dedication, and a God given spirit of forgiveness. Although I don’t agree with many of his opinions (and there are many, believe me) I admire and respect the man I married, the husband, the father and the grandfather he is. I recognize how much he loves us and how dedicated he is to the family God gave him.
    No, I don’t see love as a “smoke raised by the fumes of sighs” I see it as a divine gift, a God made thing that makes a woman look back to a forty-one year marriage and say to her husband “You were and you are, the will of God for me and I am so grateful you are in my life!”
    “Love doesn't come in a minute
    Sometimes it doesn't come at all
    I only know that when I'm in it
    It isn't silly, no, it isn't silly, love isn't silly at all”-Paul Mc Cartney

    Love is not silly, but this song is and this woman draws the line here, I will never, never, sing a Paul Mc Cartney song to my husband!
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I went to post this I realized I wrote too much, I'll post it as 2 entries, hope that's ok! - Tonia Hinz

    Our story doesn't have much romance in it, but it does have motorcycles, miles of American highway, a fig tree and a whole bunch of God's provision!

    Horst and I met in a parking lot in Surrey, we shared a hotel room that first night. Well technically it wasn't the first night because we had driven 24 hours straight to California, hauling a trailer full of motorcycles. We often talk about this fateful trip, how two weeks on a road trip together is the equivalent of months of dating, how there's a certain transparency that comes from seeing a person crawl out of a vehicle at a truck stop in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. We talk about the unique opportunity to see how a person responds to the unknowns that come with this type of trip, especially when their guard is down and a long term commitment wasn't on anyone’s mind. I guess I should mention there were also four other people sharing the hotel suite with us, being the lone female, I was offered the bed and Horst graciously took the floor. I had done this type of trip before, it was Horst’s first time, a group of about 20 heading down the coast to do some riding and take in a few motorcycle training courses, one of the stops being the iconic Laguna Seca Raceway. It’s mostly guys that go on this type of trip, sometimes a few female riders but not this time. When I talk about this trip I still say that it was mostly guys, but what I really mean is that I was the only girl.

    Horst and I got along right away, it turns out we had both known the same people for years, but had just not crossed paths yet. We stuck together, organized a few things, became allies of sorts and were the voice of reason many times! Coming home I felt I had made a new friend, possibly a guy for one of my many single friends, (I remember saying “hey, I met this beer drinking, Mennonite guy on the trip, I think you’d like him”)… but most of all I felt God’s care for me in providing a safe place of refuge on such a crazy trip. An example was one evening when the guys were discussing going out to party and were trying to get me to go, Horst spoke up right away and said he wasn’t into that and would only be going to dinner, which gave me and a few others the opportunity to join him.

    When we came home we stayed in touch, emailed and talked a lot on the phone. To be honest I was pretty weirded out by how well we got along. I had been single for quite some time, since about the time I seriously began following Christ and realized that I was not good at picking out proper company for myself in that regard. People would ask me if I was interested in anyone or looking for a boyfriend/husband and I could honestly say it wasn’t on my mind at all. I would say the man for me would have to drop out of the sky and land right in front of me before I ever went looking! (Little did I know he would be landing on a Suzuki GSXR1000 with matching leathers!)
    Horst was single as well, to the bane of his parents and good friends. His father was quite vocal about this, apparently always telling him he should get married, as if it was something you could just go out and do. His father was also quite vocal about Horst’s motorcycling. He didn’t like it, one bit. In fact Horst says that there were a few “silent” years between them because of it. If only Horst would quit it with that motorcycle and get married. We all laugh now, because without his motorcycle we would never have met!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course over time, a short time –a few months, we realized that something was happening, we both felt it was strange, like we had somehow been placed together. We each prayed about it and both came to the conclusion that we liked each other and both loved God, so maybe we should see where this was going. We dated for a few weeks, got engaged and were married 5 months later! I don’t suggest this as a route for most, but in our case it worked. Remember our “intense” get to know each other period… I borrowed his comb because I forgot to pack a brush (yes, I was the only girl on the trip and Horst seemed like the kind of guy who wouldn’t make a dumb joke about it), he saw me very angry (for a good reason) and I saw him hold up under some extremely testing situations, not things that usually happen while on good dating good behaviour! We also put a lot of value on the thoughts about our relationship from those closest to us, we had a lot of people who thought it was fast but all gave thumbs up.

    We say we felt getting married was the right thing to do, we felt it as obedience to God’s hand in our lives. I don’t think we “fell in love”, more like grew in love, we believe that love is about making choices and that ours grows deeper as we do life together.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.