Saturday 28 March 2015

Chapter 11: Supernatural



The supernatural is an area I feel reluctant to talk about, but I’ve decided to share a few of my experiences. The reason for my reluctance is twofold. First, I have an aversion to the unhealthy fascination and sensationalism that usually goes with it. And second, I find it difficult to escape the scientific rationalism of my time. This second one makes me fairly skeptical about people’s (including my own) experiences. This does not mean I disbelieve in God’s involvement in his creation. I believe that God is always involved in the ongoing activity of his creation, unlike those who think things run along naturally without God and that he only intervenes supernaturally once and awhile.

I believe God is both creator and sustainer. We live because of his sustaining energy. The sun rises and sets, the wind blows and the crops grow because God’s power is infused throughout his creation, and yet, he is separate from his creation. If God would stop sustaining the cosmos everything would cease to be. Science is simply the observation and recording of how we perceive God to be actively working within his creation. Theologians refer to this as God’s “General Revelation.” There are still many mysterious and unanswered questions, one of the biggest being how destruction and evil can exist in an all-powerful and good God’s creation.  

So, I’m not skeptical about the spiritual realm or about God’s involvement in our lives. God does so much for us on an hourly basis we mostly take his work for granted. We see it as just the way things are, rather than recognize it as a continual gift from him.

I am not a Cessationist. I do believe that God still acts in supernatural ways today. What I am skeptical about is how often these miracles happen today. Even in Biblical times miracles seemed to predominate only in specific eras; interestingly, in the times of Moses, Elijah, Jesus and the apostles. Essentially, I think the supernatural is rare (and a miracle wouldn’t be a miracle if it wasn’t rare). I think they are often unhelpful to our spiritual walk. And I think our “wishful thinking” gets in the way so that we often believe something is supernatural because we want it to be.

My first occurrences of the supernatural happened in early elementary school. I woke up in the night and felt a tremendous pressure on my chest. I felt like I was being squished and I couldn’t breathe. I recall panicking and then crying out to God for help. The pressure immediately left.

For a time I was into Castle GraySkull and I had many of its toys. That was until the night I thought I saw evil spirits flying out of the castle and swooping around my room. I got so freaked out that I told my parents about it and decided to burn all the toys in our campfire pit. Burning the plastic wasn’t the most environmentally friendly, but all that mattered to me at the time was getting rid of that stuff.  

I remember another occasion of waking up in the night, looking at my door, and seeing two brightly white robed men standing on either side of it. I took them to be angels and went back to sleep.

Another incident occurred when I was a teenager at a Christian conference. During a concert I was hanging out with some friends when a stranger came up and said he had a message for me. He pulled me aside and said that while he was praying he had vision of me preaching to a large crowd of people. He wanted to encourage me and tell me that God was calling me to preach.      

Also while a teenager, my dad was suffering with severe back problems for years. When he would try to get up after sitting, it would take him five or ten steps before he was able to stand upright. One evening he was in the basement of some Christian friends who had invited to hear a traveling evangelist named of Paul. My dad and this man had never met and at the end of his hour long message Paul said that someone in the room was struggling with back pain and needed to come forward and ask God for healing. My dad says that he was too afraid to do so until the man asked a second time. “I felt like someone just lifted me out of the chair,” my dad reported to me. “The man didn’t even touch me. But after he prayed for me, my back was better. Although this was a couple of decades ago, my back pain has never come back. After I was healed, Paul said to me, ‘I knew it was you,’ but God wanted you to come forward if you were to get healed.’”

I don’t know if my dad realizes the discrepancy in his testimony as he retold it to me. He said that Paul told him that “God wanted him to come forward in order to be healed,” but he also said that it was as if “someone lifted him out of his chair” the second time Paul made the request. So, did my dad willingly go forward in faith or did God pick him up and carry him forward in his lack of faith? Either way, God healed him. And isn’t this just like the scriptural tension between freewill and predestination!?   

The final experience I will share happened while I was a youth pastor at Northgate Baptist. A lady came into the church looking for a pastor to give her counsel. I quickly realized I was in over my head when she started talking about occult involvement and about going through some ceremony where she got “married” to Satan. I asked the associate pastor (Ralph Korner) to assist me.

During our counselling session this lady manifested signs of what the church has traditionally called demon possession. She would growl, talk in a low masculine mocking voice and stare at us with an intense hatred. Other times she claimed to see things in the room like angels. After an afternoon of talking to her, praying and reading scripture, she appeared to be “delivered.” As to the long term effects, I’ll never know since we lost contact with her afterward.

That evening I ran a youth event at the church and, after everyone was picked up, was left in the church alone. I did a walk through the building to make sure all the doors were locked when I felt an icy presence by the back doors. I wondered if one of the spirits we dealt with earlier in the day was roaming here. With a racing heart I prayed, “In the name of Jesus Christ, through whom I’m protected, you have no right to be here. Get lost.” I then locked up and made a brisk walk to my apartment two blocks away. By the time I got home I was already second guessing myself. Was I just spooked because of the events earlier in the day? Was my mind playing tricks on me? Get a grip!

               The next morning I got a call from our head deacon John Reid. Apparently, he had gone into the church that morning and said that, when he entered the back doors, he felt an “icy presence”. John said he then felt compelled to go around the building and pray at all the entrances. He was now calling me to see if anything unusual had happened at the church recently. When I told him about my meeting with the lady and what later happened to me it confirmed John’s experience.

John knew nothing of these events prior to our phone conversation. He had never reported anything else like this to me in the six years I was at Northgate. For him to phone with the exact same experience I had, in the same place and the day after my encounter, confirms to me the reality of our experiences.  I don’t claim to know exactly what was there, but it never bothered us again after that weekend.


      I’ve tried to replay these events in my life as objectively as possible. You can be the judge as to whether or not they were supernatural occurrences.   

What is something miraculous that has happened in your life?

3 comments:

  1. Yes I have experienced a message , and I do believe in the Supernatural as the Bible has many scriptures that prove angels, and miracles. My one and only story is that of man whom I knew had a brain tumor and was in bad shape. One night about 3AM I was awaken with a clear mind and about the same time heard three distinct bells and the Lord said to me that this person had passed. It was a clear message. I received a call from a family member who said that this person had passed. I said that I knew already. The is was a wake up call for the person calling me. I believe we have only touched the surface of our true understanding of the spiritual realms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child, unlike Pastor Stef, I did not have anything of spiritual significance good or bad reveal itself to me.

    It was not until I found myself in an impossible situation, after marriage and I cried out to God, that the dominos started to fall becoming observable, off and on throughout my life. These occurrences usually at a points of extreme need.

    The first instance happened after praying for God to become a part of my life in 1972 and I doing my first bible study.

    I had a nasty sore throat, so asked God for healing. As I read each question and the verses that applied, another verse stood out, my eyes constantly drawn to it. When I turned the page in the study, the very next question was pertaining to this 'illuminated' verse. The minute I understood what this verse implied to me, my sore throat disappeared. I was stunned. The verse was John 15:7. Wow, God was listening!

    I remember right around this time with my new Lord and Saviour, that I dreamt a very special dream. It was quick and to the point. A shadowed body with illumination behind it was the visual. The words I heard were 'Read 1 Peter.' That was it. The words in 1 Peter did apply to my life then and even now. All these years later I can see that God cared enough to 'speak' to me so personally.

    Another time I was at a church near Simon Fraser with Craig, my son. He being a serious student, was fed up with living in residence. I told the secretary of Craig's dilemma. She said that she knew of one lady in the church that might offer him accommodation; Mrs. Shrum. I asked Craig if he knew that name as it sounded familiar. He did not but a second later I remembered a conversation with my daughter, Dianna. I told the secretary that my daughter had worked at a camp the previous summer and I was sure that it was a Mrs. Shrum that she had worked (volunteered) for. The secretary said I was correct, and that she would have Mrs. Shrum call me!

    Mrs.Shrum did call and said immediately, 'Any brother of Dianna's was welcome to stay in her home.'

    But the story does not end there. About a month before Craig was to move in, I had a call from Mrs. Shrum asking if Craig could move in sooner, as she had just lost her husband. God used this intervention to fill two needs.

    In September 2014, God certainly spoke into my life as well. I had been asked to join a BSF study in West Van. I found traffic to be so heavy that I turned around. I choosing a BSF study closer to home, instead. Amazingly, a lady in my small group there, shared a story about her travel on a plane in wartime (1944) China, that linked to my family.

    The plane she was on, as a little girl, was headed for Kunming, China. Because Kunming was darkened because of an air raid, the pilot got lost! By the time the pilot found another airport to refuel the plane, the fuel gauge read empty. Had he not put on more fuel initially while he waited for a repair to be done, that plane would have crashed the hour before, all perishing in the mountains around Kunming.

    I told my daughter-in-law, Anne, about this lady at BSF, when she called me the next day. She, the granddaughter of CIM missionaries, said 'I know that story, mom! It is written in my Grandma's memoirs.' This lady that I had just met at BSF, through divine intervention, had slept on my daughter-in-laws, grandmas' floor in Kunming! The grandparents, running a China Inland Mission home that had taken in many wartime evacuees. My new friend in BSF, one of them!

    God's intervention for her in 1944 and intervention again in 2014 certainly was timely and the encouragement very needed.

    Life, as Pastor said, always has God involved, but it is wonderful when He allows us a little glimpse of what He is up to. The timing always so perfect, just when so needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a culture where superstition and religion were intertwined.
    All through my childhood I heard of supernatural events, and I heard of “healers” one of them was our neighbor.

    Although my parents, didn’t believe, Sarah, often
    offered her expertise by “blessing” the seeds at the sowing season and later walking in the fields, again, “blessing” the crops. This was her most mild work; apparently she also cast out demons “healed” people, and “talked” to the dead.

    By now, if you paid attention to all my quotation marks, you probably figured out that I was not a believer. Then when I became a Christian I made sure that all that supernatural stuff was out of my mind for good.

    Because I grew up rubbing elbows with the dark side of the supernatural, as a Christian I aimed to stay as far away as possible from spiritual happenings that I could not explain. Regarding God’s miracles I rationalized them this way:
    -Opening my eyes every morning is a miracle-
    -The birth of a baby is a miracle-
    -A person coming to Christ in faith and being saved is a miracle-
    -The rhythm of the seasons is a miracle-
    -The fact that we are alive is a miracle-All the other miracles happened only in bible time.

    Then it happened; those God’s things that I couldn’t explain…

    Even as I am trying to write about them I feel uncomfortable, I have never really talked about them, although I know in my heart that it happened.
    I don’t have words to thoroughly explain them I just will give you the “head lines”.

    The director of the school I worked was having terrible problems with her adult son. Every day after work she and I prayed in her office. One night I had a dream where I saw a specific piece of baby clothing. I mentioned this to her, not knowing what it meant, she trembled; the next day she showed me the exact piece of clothing that she had kept for so many years, that took her to a sad and dramatic event that happened when her son was wearing that outfit so long ago. It was the beginning of healing for them.

    My friend was dying of acute encephalitis, I prayed for her, I remember the exact place where I was and the words that I said and I remember the feeling as if something went out of my chest. Next day I got the news that she was doing OK...

    My mother was sick family gathered to say good bye, I had gone to visit I prayed quietly caressing her hair; I had the same feeling as if something was going out of my chest. Mother lived eight more years after that.


    One last one; long, trip, extremely icy roads I was driving alone,the car was sliding on the road, I was in panic mode. I felt a presence beside me, real, and warm, my hands were grasping the steering wheel but I knew I wasn’t driving the car. I don’t know how I got to my destination that day, but I know who took me there.
    No, I don’t like to talk about these events, but I have a God I cannot explain with power and mercy I cannot explain and he is the only miracle maker.
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.