Saturday 21 February 2015

Chapter 6: Poo

My parents were going to be rich. Even better, I was the one who was going to share the news with them. It started off like any other Saturday morning. I got up. I had breakfast. I went outside to play. And that is when the morning became unordinary. Our backyard was covered in gold. Each piece was about the size of a dime and there were hundreds of them. Was this a blessing from the heavens? Had God smiled on our family?

With the gold glistening in the sun from the dew that had yet to evaporate, I ran inside and found an empty ice cream pail. For an hour I collected the nuggets until the bucket was full. I was no expert in what gold went for, but I was pretty confident that an entire bucket would allow both of my parents to retire.

When mom awoke I rushed to show her my collection and pass the proceeds onto her, but became confused when she wasn’t nearly as ecstatic as I thought she should be. Let me word that differently. She was ecstatic, but not in the way I thought she should be. Mom rushed me into the bathroom and started vigorously washing my hands. Did she think I stole the gold? Was she trying to wash away my fingerprints? I thought she would calm down if I told her where I found the gold. It appeared in our backyard overnight. I had done nothing wrong. Mom kept scrubbing my hands and said, “Honey, that’s not gold, those are rabbit droppings!”

I’d just spent an hour filling an ice cream pail with rabbit poop - with my bare hands! What I thought was a bucket of wealth, was a bucket of crap. I learned a few lessons about “fools” gold that day. Not everything that glitters is gold. Not everything that looks good on the outside has substance to it. And always wash your hands before you eat.  

               Around this time I started dreaming up other ways to make a buck. I now realized that money wasn’t going to drop from the sky. I was going to have to put in some of my own ingenuity. I’d have to work. Or use my persuasive skills.

               Part of my summer holidays before grade two were spent along Long Lake Beach in Saskatchewan. Again, with ice cream pails in tow, I walked along the beach collecting fish skeletons and shiny rocks. By the end of summer I had a large supply of these treasures.  

When school started I brought my items to class. I made sure to do so on a Friday because Friday was “hotdog day”, so I knew people would have money. For a dollar you could buy a hot dog and pop from the school kitchen. During morning “show-and-tell” I stood before my class and played up the special characteristics of the fish skeletons and rocks. When recess came I offered to sell the items for a dollar each. Within minutes I had made $20. Unfortunately, I wasn’t to bring that money home.

At lunch it was obvious something was up. Everyone was sitting at their desk not eating and not buying hotdogs, except me. Our teacher started asking questions and someone snitched. I found myself in the principal’s office explaining my small business. He wasn’t convinced and confiscated my money and returned it to the students without even having them return my merchandise. He was robbing from the rich to give to the poor. I knew Robin Hood was bad. This was worse than taxing me. You’d think our educational system would encourage capitalism at such a young age. Instead, my principal was a communist! He even let me know that he would be “watching me.”  

               After this I started a new business of making “guitars” out of wood and elastic bands and selling them to neighbours. I knew I wouldn’t be able to get away with this at my totalitarian, oppressive, evil elementary school run by “Big Brother”, so I put the musical instruments in my wagon and trucked them door to door. Most were encouraging and bought one, though I’m sure it was later used for firewood. But at least my neighbours weren’t communists!

               Recently I witnessed my entrepreneurship in my ten year old son Micah. We were at a park with some friends when he and a buddy developed a stand-up comedy and circus routine, complete with balancing on soccer balls while catching freebies out of the air. Once they were confident with their routine they went around the park asking people if they could perform. After each show they put down a pail for people to throw money in. Within an hour they had collected $16! Unlike my principal, I let them keep the money.   

Stef  in grade 1, around the time of the "Big Brother" school incident

Discuss: When you were a kid, did you ever try to start a small business like a lemon aid stand? Tell us your story.

When posting your comment, select "Name/URL" from the menu to add your name to your story.
 

2 comments:

  1. I have to confess, I never had an entrepreneurial thought in my life!
    When I was a child in rural South America, so many years ago, my parents grew chickens and these feathery creatures where the currency we used to buy goods in the general store.
    Often my mom would send me to buy sugar or flour and gave me two or three chickens to pay the storekeeper. I didn’t even know how “real” money looked like.

    As time went by, my parents decided to supplement our “buying power” by raising
    rabbits. Dad build the cage and I helped, we got the rabbits and soon (as rabbits will do) they filled the cage with baby bunnies. Pink ears white fur, soft balls of cuteness and there were all over!

    I was supposed to take care of them with the understanding that they were not pets and we were going to sell them to the general store keeper.
    The store keeper in turn, was going to kill them for meat.

    Dad said that because I took such good care of the rabbits, some of the profits from the sale were going to be mine, all mine, “real money”!
    So when the time for the transaction came, mom sent me with two rabbits in a little cage to the general store to buy tea and bread.

    I left home with the rabbits and my heart in that little cage. How could I take them to the store keeper knowing that he was going to kill them? The only thing I could do was not to take them.

    I chose the long way to the store, a barely noticeable path across the fields and half way there, I opened the cage and freed the little rabbits telling them “It is better to be lost in the fields than cooked and on the storekeeper’s table.”
    I felt good about it, perhaps like a hero feels…

    When I got to the store, I asked for the tea and the bread and told the storekeeper that my dad was going to come by later and pay him. I still felt good about it.

    This happened a few times until my parents realized what was going on and they were not in favor of my “Free the rabbits” campaign. I didn't feel so good when my mother’s slipper got acquainted with my buttocks.

    Needless to say that my parents renegotiated with me and these were the terms; the store keeper was going to come and get rabbits.
    I was going to continue taking care of them and I was not going to get any part of the profits.
    My puny attempt to a counter-proposal was that my parents informed me when the store keeper was going to take the rabbits, so that I could be as far away as possible. They accepted my counter proposal.
    And that is the story of my forfeited chance to make some “real money” in my childhood years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really recall any special endeavors to raise money as a kid, but in high school my Entrepreneurship team won the trophy for "most successful school business," selling streusel kuchen my grandma made us during lunch! We didn't make that much money but apparently we were the only team to actually complete the project! As a non-athlete it's nice to have my name in the display case :)

    As for gross childhood stories, one time our family cat barfed, but it was so uniform and in one nice lump that as a 5 year old I thought it was an oatmeal cookie and tried to pick it up! Ew! I realized my mistake right away and was NOT happy about it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.